Telepsychiatry is the application of telemedicine to the specialty field of psychiatry, or more specifically, the delivery of psychiatric assessment and care through mobile devices and/or videoconferencing. Most commonly, telepsychiatry encounters originate from our facilities under the supervision of onsite staff and connect to in care at-home patients. The focus of telepsychiatry is more on the “psychiatry” portion of the word, not the “tele.” Technology is merely a medium for connecting consumers with psychiatric providers like nurse practitioners, mental health therapists and psychiatrists. Years of clinical research studies show that telepsychiatry is an effective means of care an excellent tool for supplementing in-person treatment, especially when psychiatric providers cannot meet with each patient on a regular basis. Telepsychiatry is successfully used for various clinical services and educational initiatives. Advantages and benefits of Telepsychiatry includes:
- Convenience, especially in rural settings
- Adaptive to today’s video and mobile phone technology
- Increases direct access to care and care professionals
- Enables specialty consultation such as drug recovery programs/progress
- Allows for reliable evaluation, tracking, reporting and yields positive outcomes
Learn more about our Telepsychiatry options.