The Village Network’s Online Privacy Statement
Thank you for visiting thevillagenetwork.org. We appreciate the opportunity to interact with you on the Internet and are committed to protecting and safeguarding your privacy. The purpose of this Privacy Statement is to inform you about the types of information we might collect about you when you visit our Site, how we may use that information and whether we disclose that information to anyone.
The Information We Collect And How We Use And Disclose It
The Village Network is proud to protect the security and confidentiality of your Personal Information. It is our policy not to sell or pass on any Personal Information that you provide to us. In an effort to demonstrate our commitment, we would like to inform you how we gather, use and maintain this data.
While the type of Personal Information that The Village Network collects from you will depend on how you use our website, we do gather broad demographic information about you from your visit to www.thevillagenetwork.org and all other domain names related to The Village Network web site. This Personal Information includes but is not limited to:
- information about your device including your IP address, geographical location, browser type and version, and operating system
- information about your visits to our website and the use of this website, including the referral source, length of visit, page views, and website navigation paths
- your email address, that you enter when you register with our website
- information that you enter when you create a profile on our website—for example, your name, profile pictures, gender, birthday, relationship status, interests and hobbies, educational details, and employment details
- your name and email address that you enter in order to create subscriptions to our emails and/or e-newsletters
- information that you enter while using the services on our website
- information that is generated while using our website, including when, how often, and under what circumstances you use it
- information relating to anything you purchase, services you use, or transactions you make through our website, including your name, address, telephone number and email address
- information contained in any communications that you send to us by email or through our website, including its communication content and metadata
- any other Personal Information that you send to us.
This type of information is used to track and measure the number of visitors to various sections within our site in an effort to make our site more beneficial.
The Village Network collects the Personal Information set forth above to improve the website and our services offered, and to provide you with better service. We may use your Personal Information (and other Information) for the following purposes, without limitation:
- administering our website and business
- to customize/personalize this website based on user interests
- enabling your use of the services available on our website
- sending you goods and/or programs purchased through our website
- supplying and/or fulfilling services purchased through our website
- sending statements, invoices, and payment reminders to you, and collecting payments from you
- sending you non-marketing commercial communications
- sending you email notifications that you have specifically requested
- sending you our email newsletter, if you have requested it (you can opt out at any time if you no longer require the newsletter);
- sending you marketing communications relating to our business or the businesses of carefully-selected third parties which we think may be of interest to you, by post or, where you have specifically agreed to this, by email or similar technology (you can opt out at any time if you no longer require marketing communications);
- providing third parties with statistical information about our users (third parties will not be able to identify any individual user from that information);
- dealing with inquiries and complaints made by or about you relating to our website;
- keeping the website secure and to prevent fraud;
- verifying compliance with the terms and conditions governing the use of our website
- sending you useful information about our programs, products and/or services
- for enhancing this website’s operations
- for statistical purposes
- to improve our products, programs and/or services
- to maintain the integrity of the information and services provided on this website
- other uses.
If you submit Personal Information for publication on our website, we will publish and otherwise use that information in accordance with the license you grant to us.
Your privacy settings can be used to limit the publication of your information on our website and can be adjusted using privacy controls on the website.
The Village Network does not sell or rent your Information to others. Except as set forth herein, and unless required by law, we will not distribute your Personal Information to third parties without your permission.
We may disclose your Personal Information to any of our employees, officers, insurers, professional advisers, agents, suppliers, or subcontractors as may be reasonably necessary for the purposes set forth in this policy.
We may disclose your Personal Information to any member of our group of companies which may include our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and all its subsidiaries, as is reasonably necessary for the purposes set forth in this policy.
We may disclose your Personal Information:
- if we are required to do so by law
- in connection with any ongoing or prospective legal proceedings
- to establish, exercise, or defend our legal rights (including providing information to others for the purposes of fraud prevention and reducing credit risk);
- to the purchaser (or prospective purchaser) of any business or asset that we are (or are contemplating) selling; and
- to any person who we reasonably believe may apply to a court or other competent authority for disclosure of that Personal Information where, in our reasonable opinion, such court or authority would be reasonably likely to order disclosure of that Personal Information. Except as provided in this policy, we will not provide your Personal Information to third parties.
Security For Personal Information
The Village Network is committed to ensuring that your Personal Information is secure. To prevent unauthorized access or disclosure of your Personal Information, we use suitable, industry-standard physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the Personal Information that we collect via the Site.
- We will take reasonable technical and organizational precautions to prevent the loss, misuse, or alteration of any of your Personal Information you have provided.
- We will store all Personal Information you provide on our secure, password- and firewall-protected, servers.
- Any and all electronic financial transactions entered into our website will be protected by encryption technology.
- You acknowledge that the transmission of any information over the internet is inherently insecure, and we cannot guarantee the security of data sent over the internet.
- You are responsible for keeping the password you use for accessing our website confidential. We will never ask you for your password, except when you securely log in to our website.
When inquiries are emailed to The Village Network website, we store the question and email address information so that we can respond electronically. Unless otherwise required by statute, we do not identify publicly who sends questions or comments to our web site. We do not obtain information that will allow us to personally identify who visits our site, unless you choose to provide such information to us.
Multiple people responsible for answering inquiries, reviewing applications, processing donations and distributing organization news, may view emails sent to The Village Network. If an individual cannot accurately answer your question, your query may be forwarded to another representative more experienced in that area. We do not forward your email outside of The Village Network nor do we collect your name and email address for any purpose other than to respond to your query. We will not disclose, sell, trade, rent, or otherwise reveal nonprofit supporters’ email addresses with any third party, unless required to do so by law or to contractors or agents for purposes of our business operations or is otherwise permissible as set forth herein.
In processing forms, The Village Network may receive information from creditors, affiliates and others. Our forms may also require you to submit contact information (e.g., name, email address) and demographic information (e.g., zip code, age, income level). This data is used for contact purposes when necessary. Financial information may also be used to bill you for your donation. While we do not disclose any nonpublic Personal Information about our applicants or supporters to anyone, except as permitted by law, you should be aware that email is not completely secure against interception. If your communication contains sensitive or Personal Information, you may want to send it by postal mail or another more secure means.
When visiting The Village Network web site, you may encounter a page that employs “cookies.” A cookie is a small file that a web site transfers to your computer’s hard disk. It allows our server to “remember” specific information about your session while you are connected. Requests to send cookies from The Village Network web pages are designed to collect information about your browser “session” and make it easier for you to use the dynamic features. They do not collect information about you personally.
The names of the cookies that we use on our website and the purposes for which they are used are set out below:
- We may use Google Analytics, Google Ads, Facebook, Twitter, CrazyEgg and Mouseflow cookies on our website to recognize a computer when a user:
- visits the website
- track users as they navigate the website
- improve the website’s usability
- analyze the use of the website
- administer the website
- prevent fraud and improve the security of the website
- personalize the website for each user
- target advertisements which may be of interest to specific users
- Instructions for deleting cookies in Internet Explorer: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17442/windows-internet-explorer-delete-manage-cookies
- Instructions for deleting cookies in Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/clear-cookies-and-site-data-firefox
- Instructions for deleting cookies in Chrome: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/32050?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en
- Instructions for deleting cookies in Microsoft Edge: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027947/microsoft-edge-delete-cookies
Blocking all cookies may have a negative impact upon the usability of many websites. If you block cookies, you will not be able to use all the features on our website. Deleting cookies may have a negative impact on the usability of many websites.
The Village Network collects information through cookies and other similar technologies. We may use third parties to provide advertisements for other websites that may be of interest to you, based on Information collected about your use of our Site and other websites. To do this, The Village Network and/or these third parties may place or recognize a unique cookie on your browser, which may include without limitation the use of pixel tags and/or web beacons. You can choose to accept or decline cookies; most browsers automatically accept cookies unless you modify settings to decline them. However, declining to accept cookies may prevent you from taking full advantage of the Site. Further, The Village Network does not recognize automated browser signals regarding tracking mechanisms, which may include “do not track” instructions.
The Village Network also uses web analytics services, which currently include without limitation Google Analytics, and Crazy Egg and Mouseflow analytics. Although we currently use the foregoing analytics services providers, The Village Network reserves its right, within its sole discretion, to change analytics services providers, or to add additional analytics services providers, without notice to you.
The Village Network currently uses Google Ads, Facebook, and Bing Remarketing Services as remarketing services providers. The Village Network reserves its right, within its sole discretion, to change remarketing services providers, or to add additional remarketing services providers, without notice to you.
You can set preferences for how Facebook advertises to you or opt out in your browser or device settings.
To opt out of Bing or another third party, you may use the NAI opt-out tool, which will allow you to opt out of targeted ads from NAI-approved member companies. The advertisers we use are members of the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) and adhere to the NAI Code of Conduct.
If you feel that this site is not following its stated information policy, you may contact us at the above address or phone number or contact the Federal Trade Commission by phone at 202.FTC-HELP (202.382.4357), or electronically using the FTC Complaint Assistant.
Links To Other Websites
Links to third-party Websites may be provided solely for your information and convenience, or to provide additional information for various other goods and services. If you use these links, you will leave our Site. This Privacy Statement does not cover the information practices of those websites linked to our Site, nor do we control their content or privacy policies. We suggest that you carefully review the privacy policies of each site you visit.
Changes To This Statement
Any updates or changes to the terms of this Privacy Statement will be posted here on our Site and the date of the newest version posted below. Please check back frequently, especially before you submit any Personal Information at our Site, to see if this Privacy Statement has changed.
If you have any concerns about our use of your information or about this Privacy Statement, to request accommodations for access, or if you wish to access, correct, or delete your Personal Information, please send an e-mail to email@example.com or call us at 800-638-3232. We will make every reasonable effort to address your concerns and remedy any problems you bring to our attention.
By using our Site, you acknowledge acceptance of this Privacy Statement in effect at the time of use.
Last Revised: December 7, 2021